Food safety officials have warned that ground beef shipped to HelloFresh customers in July could be contaminated with E. coli.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Saturday that meat produced at certain production sites appears to be causing multiple illnesses.The identified O157:H7 strain causes severe intestinal infections in humans. cause
According to the USDA, customers with HelloFresh ground beef in the freezer shipped July 2-21 must discard the meat. The agency said it has not requested a recall because the kit is no longer available for purchase.
85% Lean Ground Beef comes in a vacuum sealed 10oz plastic package marked “EST.46841”. The side of the package also says “EST#46841 L1 22 155” or “EST#46841 L5 22 155”.
Germany-based company HelloFresh said the USDA warning “impacts a small percentage of HelloFresh customers in the United States” who received beef from certain suppliers.
“The USDA has issued a public health alert,” the company said in a statement. “We are working closely with the USDA and our relevant suppliers.”
Ground beef is a common cause of E. coli infection. About 120,000 pounds of ground beef were recalled in April because of this. In 2019, E. coli in ground beef was suspected of infecting at least 109 people in his six states.
Other foods also have E. Escherichia coli, short for Escherichia coli. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned in August that Michigan and Ohio were experiencing a “rapid” epidemic, and officials later said romaine at Wendy’s restaurant could be to blame for its lettuce.
At the end of last year, 10 people got sick and one died in an outbreak linked to Package His Salad. Another outbreak is associated with baby spinach.
Some strains of E. E. coli, a group of bacteria, are harmless. Some cause urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and respiratory infections. Humans can become infected with E. coli by invisibly swallowing animal or human faeces in contaminated food or water.
According to the CDC, symptoms include diarrhea, excessive vomiting, dehydration, stomach cramps, and bloody stools. About 265,000 people in the United States become infected with E. coli each year, and about 30 die.
Federal food safety officials urge people to only eat ground beef when it’s cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit and check that temperature with a food thermometer.
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter & Facebook.